[U-Boot] [0/6] Patch serie UBI min I/O size fixes

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Mon Apr 4 13:15:09 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Roese wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> On Thursday 20 January 2011 17:16:32 Holger Brunck wrote:
>> This patch serie fixes a problem in the UBI layer. The min I/O size has
>> currently a fixed value of 1 for NOR flashes. But for NOR flashes the min
>> I/O size has to be equal to the size of the writebuffer of the flash.
>> Therefore the mtd layer was enhanced with the writebuffer which was later
>> on used in the ubi layer to set the min I/O size.
>>
>> This patches fixes problems with flash types with a writebuffersize > 128
>> Byte and is mainly taken from the similar linux patches. See MTD mailing
>> list posts:
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2010-December/033460.html
>>
>> Without the u-boot patches attaching to a ubi device with a min I/O buffer
>> larger than 128 would fail.
>
> IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Linux part of these patches has
> undergone some changes. Is this U-Boot patch series still up-to-date?

no. The assumption that (mtd->writebufsize == min I/O size in UBI) for NOR
flashes was incorrect and the  patch UBI: use mtd->writebufsize to set minimal
I/O unit size was reverted in the mainline kernel. Whats still part in the
kernel is the enhancement of the mtd struct with the writebufsize. But also in
this topic some changes are made. So the patch series should be dropped or
updated with the recent changes.

But currently due to the changes I did not see a usage for this additional value
for u-boot. For this reason I propose to drop the patch series.

Best regards
Holger