[U-Boot] [RFC] Act as a TFTP server

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 13 13:37:35 CEST 2011

Dear Luca,

In message <4DA5682A.8040203 at comelit.it> you wrote:

> I am going to implement in U-Boot the ability to receive a file via TFTP acting
> as a server, not a client. I've sketched up a way to implement it, and I would
> appreciate any comments about it.

Thanks for the efforts, and especially for discussing the design
early.  Highly appreciated.

>  From the user point of view, I would implement a new command, activated only
> when CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV is defined:
>
>    Usage:    tftpsrv [<loadaddr>]
>
> This would be used almost like tftpboot, except no file name is specified on
> the commandline.
> <loadaddr>  would default to the environment variable.

I see some user interface issues here:

- When and how do you terminate this command?  After a successful
  download, ok.  But how long do we wait for that?  Forever? Or do we
  time out?

- It would be nice if the user could terminate the command using ^C.

> Do you think my approach is correct?

Looks ok to me.

> Would this feature be considered for mainline inclusion?

Yes, of course.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always try to do things in chronological order; it's  less  confusing
that way.