[U-Boot] trigger automatic update (FIT image) from prompt instead of "updatefile" env variable

Andreas Pretzsch apr at cn-eng.de
Tue Apr 19 23:07:13 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 13.04.2011, 21:47 +0200 schrieb Andreas Pretzsch:
> Am Montag, den 11.04.2011, 23:11 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> > In message <1302554333.13241.158.camel at ws-apr.office.loc> you wrote:
> > > Is there a way to manually trigger an automatic update using a FIT
> > > image, based on the way described in doc/README.update ?
> >
> > Yes, there is.
>
> I suppose you meant as soon as there is a new command ?
>

> > > I mean beside setting "updatefile" environment variable, saveenv and
> > > reboot, but trigger it from U-Boot prompt resp. script ?
> > >
> > > As far as I can see, update_tftp() is only called once during the
> > > startup, but not referenced by any command.
> >
> > It requires a two-step approach.  In the first step, implement such a
> > command - patches welcome :-)
>
> Ok, let's see what I can squeeze in before the merge window closes.
>
> Browsing the code, I see four ways to implement this, with #1 being my
> favorite. Straightforward and no risk of side effects.
> In all variants, I'm unsure about the command name and hope for
> suggestions.
>
> 1.) new command calling update_tftp(), optionally with address
>     parameter to omit the tftp load

Took this approach, as most easy and non-intrusive. Named the new
command "fitupd", sounds appropriate to me. Feel free to still request a
name change.
See patch series "update from FIT image: add optional address, new
command fitupd".

--

carpe noctem engineering
Ingenieurbuero fuer Hard- & Software-Entwicklung Andreas Pretzsch
89073 Ulm, Germany                        email: apr at cn-eng.de