[U-Boot] UEC phy not working on first try

DUNDA Matthias Matthias.DUNDA at thalesgroup.com
Wed Apr 20 08:06:42 CEST 2011

> > I am using u-boot.2010.09 on a MPC8568-based board.
> >
> > When trying to boot over one of the UEC network interfaces, it is not
> > working instantly. The cable is connected from the beginning, but I
> > have to issue a manual 'boot' command, sometimes even multiple times
> > before the link is correct. This is the output:
>
> Do all the UEC interfaces show the same symptoms?

Yes, this happens for all UECs. And I think it worked until we switched from u-boot 2009.11.1 to 2010.09 - but there's so much change that I didn't find the reason for it, yet.

> The driver "thinks" the link went away again.  When the cable is
> connected all the time, then this is an indication of something going
> wrong.  You should try to diagnose, why the software gets this link
> change and if it really is an information that the phy provides, if the
> physical path to the phy is stable.

Well, the software runs though uec_init (the_first_run is zero) and gets a positive link state in the do-while-loop instantly. Afterwards adjust_link is called - and there it fails. Strange thing - I guess I need to dig a little deeper...

Code hints are very appreciated! ;-)

> Best wishes
>   Detlev Zundel
Thanks!