[U-Boot] Update and Cut down mach types

Igor Grinberg grinberg at compulab.co.il
Wed Apr 20 10:58:14 CEST 2011

Hi Sandeep, Albert, Wolfgang,

On 04/19/11 15:42, Paulraj, Sandeep wrote:
> Wolfgang, Albert,
>
> Russell King sent some updates to the linux kernel for mach-types.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=6f82f4db80189281a8ac42f2e72396accb719b57
>
> He also removed a lot of entries which never made it to mainline.

Well, as I understood from Russell, the main purpose of this "cut down"
is to make "du -s linux/arch/arm" smaller, because there is no real need in
all those boards listed in mach-types.h unless there is a support for them
in mainline Linux kernel.
Nevertheless the real ARM registry remains untouched - meaning that all
board ids remain the same and no board is removed from the registry.

This is the place where U-Boot board support diverges from Linux...

Are we obliged to follow the Linux mach-types.h?
Can't we just adopt Russell's "cut down" script to boards supported by U-Boot?
Or will it harden the mach-types.h future updates?

Have you thought of getting rid of mach-types.h completely?
Making every board define its ARM registry id can work and will
eliminate the need for mach-types.h update every couple of months.

> I have a patch and it is the branch below
>
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-ti.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/update-mach-types

Have you checked that none of the removed boards are in U-Boot tree?
Because if there are some, then their build will be broken...
And have to be fixed by... say a #define MACH_TYPE_* <id>
in a board_config file.

> Please review and if it is acceptable to everyone then we should apply this patch to remain in sync with the mainline kernel.

[...]

--
Regards,
Igor.