[U-Boot] Policy for checkpatch usage?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Apr 20 15:38:17 CEST 2011

Hi Graeme,

> On Wednesday, April 20, 2011, Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> As a base for discussion, what about this:
>>
>>   Use common sense in interpreting the results of checkpatch. Warnings
>>   that clearly only make sense in the Linux kernel can be ignored.  Also
>>   warnings produced for _context lines_ rather than actual changes can
>>   also be ignored.
>
> One man's common sense is another's idiocy
>
> I vote for a zero warnings, zero errors U-Boot specific checkpatch

Forking checkpatch means that someone has to invest work to maintain it.
Judging from the linux repo there are quite some changes in every
iteration of the kernel, so this will be work for us also:

[dzu at pollux linux (master)]$ git rev-list v2.6.35..v2.6.36 scripts/checkpatch.pl | wc -l
7
[dzu at pollux linux (master)]$ git rev-list v2.6.36..v2.6.37 scripts/checkpatch.pl | wc -l
19
[dzu at pollux linux (master)]$ git rev-list v2.6.37..v2.6.38 scripts/checkpatch.pl | wc -l
4

Do we want to invest this work?  Do you volunteer? ;)

Can't we disable individual messages not relevant for us?  Like
"-Wno-kstrto" or such things?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90
degrees and try again."