[U-Boot] UEC phy not working on first try

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:46:23 CEST 2011

Hmmm. I'm not seeing a delayed link behaviour at all and I am using the
latest u-boot-2011.03 on an 8323ERDB which has two UEC's.
On Apr 19, 2011 11:07 PM, "DUNDA Matthias" <Matthias.DUNDA at thalesgroup.com>
wrote:
>> > I am using u-boot.2010.09 on a MPC8568-based board.
>> >
>> > When trying to boot over one of the UEC network interfaces, it is not
>> > working instantly. The cable is connected from the beginning, but I
>> > have to issue a manual 'boot' command, sometimes even multiple times
>> > before the link is correct. This is the output:
>>
>> Do all the UEC interfaces show the same symptoms?
>
> Yes, this happens for all UECs. And I think it worked until we switched
from u-boot 2009.11.1 to 2010.09 - but there's so much change that I didn't
find the reason for it, yet.

>> The driver "thinks" the link went away again. When the cable is
>> connected all the time, then this is an indication of something going
>> wrong. You should try to diagnose, why the software gets this link
>> change and if it really is an information that the phy provides, if the
>> physical path to the phy is stable.
>
> Well, the software runs though uec_init (the_first_run is zero) and gets a
positive link state in the do-while-loop instantly. Afterwards adjust_link
is called - and there it fails. Strange thing - I guess I need to dig a
little deeper...