[U-Boot] Mainlining android fastboot support to upstream u-boot

John Rigby john.rigby at linaro.org
Wed Apr 20 18:15:46 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Jim Huang,
>
> In message <BANLkTi=yNnA9nBxWNG_1mfwfd6G_O09GOA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> My idea is that we require abstract 'bootloader' component in Android
>> device/linaro/common, and (patched) 'u-boot' would be the provider of
>> 'bootloader' component in
>> device/linaro/Linaro-Evaluation-Build-Hardware.  Also, supporting
>
> If you are discussing requirements for U-Boot, and plan to get these
> merged in to mainlineU-Boot one day, it would probably be a good idea
> to discuss these plans on the U-Boot mailing list as well - ideally
> before any design is cast in iron.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> The management question ... is not _whether_ to build a pilot  system
> and  throw  it away. You _will_ do that. The only question is whether
> to plan in advance to build a throwaway, or to promise to deliver the
> throwaway to customers.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"

Wolfgang,

As you can see from this discussion, Linaro is considering applying
resources (probably me) to upstreaming Android Fastboot features into
mainline u-boot.  What suggestions do you have for making this process
as painless as possible?

The topic came up briefly here last year:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-August/076343.html

An implementation exists for omap4/panda on gitorious:
git://gitorious.org/pandaboard/u-boot.git in the omap4_panda_es2.0
branch.  There is also a version for omap3 somewhere else on
gitorious.

To bring this to mainline one would have to:

1) Bring code up to current mainline revision.
2) Fix any coding standards issues.
3) Document the new features.

What else?  I know one issue maybe why does this need to exist when
other solutions exist.  I think that since Android uses it, it is
somewhat of a de facto standard.

All comments welcome,
John