[U-Boot] DreamPlug bootloader replacement

Jason u-boot at lakedaemon.net
Wed Apr 20 22:28:57 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:57:10PM -0700, Drassal, Allan wrote:
> I have posted instructions in the following place, please take a look.
> I have been able to do a full dump and reload of the DreamPlug.
> I would be more than happy to entertain any questions.
>
> http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html

Awesome!  Thanks for the help.

> I have also built a current version of openocd (0.4.0) with the
> correct config files.  The trick with the DreamPlug is that openocd
> does not know how to write to the SPI NOR flash, however, you can
> startup off a previous bootloader using the JTAG, and also use the
> JTAG to place the bootloader you want to replace in memory at a
> location, then use the "sf erase" "sf write" commands to replace it.

Yes, that's my backup plan.  It would be nice if openocd could write SPI
flash.

Apparently, they don't know how either (.../target/board/dreamplug.cfg):

proc dreamplug_burn_uboot { } {

        # load u-Boot into RAM and execute it
        sheevaplug_init
        load_image ./u-boot
        load_image u-boot.kwb 0x6400000
#       load_image u-boot.kwb 0x900000
        resume 0x00600000

}

hehehe...

> Please take a look at the post, let me know if you need any of the
> original files from it, or the openocd.  What I would REALLY like to
> do is know how to get U-Boot to build me a new bootloader, if you have
> accomplished this, please share.  I don't know how to edit the
> board/guruplug.cfg file in the U-Boot source tree to match the
> configuration on the DreamPlug, It always freezes on boot right after
> detecting the DRAM size (and it is incorrect).

I'm going to fire off an email to them now.  They usually don't respond,
but it gives me an excuse to call them. ;-)

thx,

Jason.