[U-Boot] bootpath of the u-boot

Simon Schwarz simonschwarzcor at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:39:09 CEST 2011

Hi there,

I started with u-boot and now try to get a general understanding of how it
is organized. I use a devkit8000 so my work is mostly specific to that
board. I tried to find the path the u-boot takes to bring up the system.
These are my findings:

arch/arm/cpu/armv7/start.S
- Startup code
- Jump to board_init_f

arch/arm/lib/board.c
>board_init_f()
- Is run from flash
- main purpose is to initialize RAM
- call: relocate_code

arch/arm/cpu/armv7/start.S
> relocate_code
- copies the code from low addresses to high addresses

arch/arm/lib/board.c
> board_init_r()
- call: board_init

board/timll/devkit8000/devkit8000.c
> board_init()

arch/arm/lib/board.c
>board_init_r()
- inits a bunch of systems. What is initialized is defined by defines
- enters the main_loop which shows autoboot msg and/or console

So my question is: Is this correct? Did I miss something important?

Thanks!
Simon