[U-Boot] boot-up time optimization. Where to start?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 27 23:19:42 CEST 2011

Dear Charles Krinke,

please keep the mailing list on Cc:

In message <BANLkTimQzo7mMMb0DjqX0c78pcNHnDXPLg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Also, please help me understand if this is not true, but the notion of
> stdin, stdout, stderr predates lcd displays back to when all communication
> with a computer was via a teletype on a serial port.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean here.

Stdin, stdout, and stderr are first of all terms that relate to the
standard C library, more precisely to it's implementation of standard
I/O streams.  This has obviously little to do with U-Boot itself.

In U-Boot's terminology we use these names as references to I/O
channels which can be assigned to different devices. Such devices may
be serial or network ports (for input and output), keyboards (input
only), LCD screens or other video adapters (output only).

> So, I think that stdin, stdout and stderr are still very much appropriate in
> a non-lcd environment.

"lcd environment" or "non-lcd environment" is not really related at
all to these terms.

> On Apr 27, 2011 12:09 PM, "Wolfgang Denk" <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > Dear Alexander Stein,

Please don't top-post / full quote. You may want to read

And never, never ever send HTML. Always send plain text only.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The Gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.