[U-Boot] strawman Fastboot in U-Boot Design Doc

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Apr 29 13:02:17 CEST 2011

Hi John,

> Here a first draft design doc.  It is based in part on the Fastboot
> implementation in the rowboat git repo (pointer below).

Thanks for this piece of documentation.  Itcertainly helped me
understand that the "boot" part in fastboot is kind of a misnomer,
right?

Again it shows that a bad description can lead thoughts astray....

[...]

> Purpose
> =======
>
> Mainline support for Android Fastboot would be useful.  Arguing the merits
> of Fastboot vs DFU is not in the scope of this document.  This document
> is to discuss design goals/requirements of an implementation of
> Fastboot in U-Boot.

So in essence you say that fastboot is an "alternative" implementation
of the "idea" behind DFU?  Or is DFU (functionally) a subset of
fastboot?  It may be worth extending on that aspect so that people
knowing DFU can "hook into" the discussion.

[...]

> Questions
> ========
>
> Should a Fastboot host program be included in the U-Boot source?

I would certainly welcome a "reference" implementation for a GNU/Linux
host.  Hopefully this will prevent multiple works later on.  Maybe even
writing a small library and having a simple command line wrapper would
be good (like flat device tree and libfdt).

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
Is this a private fight or can anyone join in?
                           -- Old Irish saying