[U-Boot] Boot uboot from another position in flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 3 15:16:39 CEST 2011

Dear ich,

In message <1312375799.4776.16.camel at debian> you wrote:

> I use u-boot U-Boot 1.3.1 - stm24_0054 for sh (Board mb411)
> (STLinux 2.4)
> It is no problem to boot with u-boot from flash at 0x000000.

Please note that U-Boot v1.3.1 is about 4 years old and as such no
longer supported here.

> But I have to install u-boot in another position in flash than 0x000000.
> I can also load the uboot from a u-boot loaded in RAM with jtag
> (with go  0xa0650000).

U-Boot is, in it's default configuration, designed to be run on a
virgin CPU comingg fresh out of reset, so it naturally has to be
installed at the reset vector of your processor. In addition to the
start address, many parts of the initialization code expect to find a
vorgin, uninitialized system.  Such parts must be disabled when you
want to change the conditions under which you want to run U-Boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite  every
effort to teach them good manners.