[U-Boot] FDT without FIT?

Simon Schwarz simonschwarzcor at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:50:25 CEST 2011

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

On 08/23/2011 07:45 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Simon Schwarz,
>
> In message<4E53C9F6.4010609 at gmail.com>  you wrote:
>>
>> How can FDT be used without a FIT image?
>
> I don't understand this question - using the FDT and the image format
> are orthogonal to each other.
>
>> I can't really get this from the code - if someone can point me in the
>> right direction this would be great!
>
> Try:
> 	help bootm

This prints:
  # help bootm
bootm - boot application image from memory

Usage:
bootm [addr [arg ...]]
     - boot application image stored in memory
	passing arguments 'arg ...'; when booting a Linux kernel,
	'arg' can be the address of an initrd image

Sub-commands to do part of the bootm sequence.  The sub-commands must be
issued in the order below (it's ok to not issue all sub-commands):
	start [addr [arg ...]]
	loados  - load OS image
	cmdline - OS specific command line processing/setup
	bdt     - OS specific bd_t processing
	prep    - OS specific prep before relocation or go
	go      - start OS

(Yes, #define CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT 1 is in my board config)

> For example:
>
> 	tftp 600000 uImage
> 	tftp 900000 board.dtb
> 	bootm 600000 - 900000
>
> What exactly is your problem?
Thanks - john already pointed me to this. This works. It was/is just a
problem with the help text - duno why..

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Regards