[U-Boot] FDT without FIT?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 24 14:59:09 CEST 2011

Dear Simon Schwarz,

In message <4E54C961.70006 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> This prints:
>   # help bootm
> bootm - boot application image from memory
>
> Usage:
> bootm [addr [arg ...]]
>      - boot application image stored in memory
> 	passing arguments 'arg ...'; when booting a Linux kernel,
> 	'arg' can be the address of an initrd image

You must either have a very old version of U-Bot, or one without FDT
support built in.

> > What exactly is your problem?
> Thanks - john already pointed me to this. This works. It was/is just a
> problem with the help text - duno why..

Hm... I get this:

	=> help bootm
	bootm - boot application image from memory

	Usage:
	bootm [addr [arg ...]]
	    - boot application image stored in memory
		passing arguments 'arg ...'; when booting a Linux kernel,
		'arg' can be the address of an initrd image
===>		When booting a Linux kernel which requires a flat device-tree
===>		a third argument is required which is the address of the
===>		device-tree blob. To boot that kernel without an initrd image,
===>		use a '-' for the second argument. If you do not pass a third
===>		a bd_info struct will be passed instead

	Sub-commands to do part of the bootm sequence.  The sub-commands must be
	issued in the order below (it's ok to not issue all sub-commands):
		start [addr [arg ...]]
		loados  - load OS image
		ramdisk - relocate initrd, set env initrd_start/initrd_end
===>		fdt     - relocate flat device tree
		cmdline - OS specific command line processing/setup
		bdt     - OS specific bd_t processing
		prep    - OS specific prep before relocation or go
		go      - start OS

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
... bacteriological warfare ... hard to believe we were once foolish
enough to play around with that.
	-- McCoy, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown