[U-Boot] RFC: Testing U-Boot Part 1

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:45:58 CEST 2011

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 02:58:00 PM Simon Glass wrote:
> [...]
> within the SOC).
>
> 2. Portable/Generic U-Boot code, which is cross-platform. This
> includes many drivers, the various commands, file system support,
> things like the MMC, USB and network stacks, etc.
>
> My focus in this email the the second part of the code base - all the
> code which is not platform-specific, but can still have bugs.
>
> Proposal
> ========
> To a large extent, testing of this part of the code base could simply
> be built on one or more of the available platforms. We could then run
> the tests on that platform, and announce that the code base works fine
> on that platform. Obviously the platform needs to support all possible
> features of U-Boot.
>
> However, this approach fails to take advantage of two useful
> properties of this code:
>
> - It is cross-platform, and even runs on x86
> - It is standalone, requiring no OS libraries to run
>
> For speed, debugging and convenience, it would be nice to run U-Boot
> under a generic Linux environment on a workstation, and test all the
> generic non-platform code. The basic problem with this is that the
> non-platform code requires the platform code to operate. Even the x86
> platform code is designed for standalone operation on a particular x86
> board, and is not suitable for running under x86 Linux.
>
> To get around this I propose that we create a new ‘native’
> architecture. We write code in ‘arch/native’ which can run under
> Linux. Since all the non-platform code will happily run under this new
> ‘architecture’, we can then write tests which run quickly under x86
> Linux (or another Linux for that matter). This U-Boot 'architecture'
> should build natively on any 32/64-bit Linux machine since it just
> uses standard Linux system calls. Calls to Linux would be entirely
> within this arch/native subdirectory.
>
> Benefit
> =======
> What will this buy us? Well we can do things like:
>
> - Create a test SPI flash device, which is file-backed. Use this to
> write a test of the cmd_sf layer by issuing a series of commands and
> making sure that the correct SPI flash contents is obtained
>
> - Create a test MMC or IDE device, backed by a file. Use this to issue
> ext2 and fat commands to manipulate the filesystem. Then loopback
> mount the file and check from Linux that U-Boot did the right thing
>
> - Create a test Ethernet device with a mocked remote host attached.
> Use this to issue network commands like bootp and tftp and check that
> the correct results are obtained.
>
> Ultimately (one day) we might have a set of unit tests for U-Boot
> which can run to very quickly check that a patch does not break the
> core U-Boot code.
>
> Comments
> ========
> At this early stage I am looking for comments on the concept - how
> useful it is and how best to implement it.

Hi Simon,

sounds just awesome. I was planning on doing a similar thing, but "from the
other side". I'm sure you're aware of the POST test framework. I was planning to
either extend it or write new self-standing implementation that'd allow debuging
platform-dependent drivers.

I can CC you on that if you have some interest.