[U-Boot] RFC: Testing U-Boot Part 1

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 25 17:01:49 CEST 2011

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 08:58:00 Simon Glass wrote:
> Proposal
> ========

for people who might be familiar with the barebox boot loader, Simon is
basically proposing the same thing as barebox's "sandbox" target.

to avoid confusion/fragmentation in this area, and since the name is a large
part bike shedding, i propose we adopt the same name that barebox has.  that
way we can sanely use the same term when comparing/contrasting.

from the barebox website:
	Sandbox

	If you develop features for Barebox, you can use the 'sandbox' target
	which compiles Barebox as a POSIX application in the Linux userspace: it
	can be started like a normal command and even has network access
	(tun/tap). Files from the local filesytem can be used to simulate
	devices.

> Comments
> ========
> At this early stage I am looking for comments on the concept - how
> useful it is and how best to implement it.

i certainly think it's a worthwhile exercise, especially if it gets us to the
point where we can do `make check` and have confidence in our common code
changes not being completely f-ed up.
-mike