[U-Boot] standalone application export eth_receive: undefined index

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 26 00:35:44 CEST 2011

Dear Robin Theunis,

In message <CAMeaXtydvu2yd3Bxr7ny0v+uLMKp0Dzhapxzdt7t1FY7pkKB0g at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a little problem. I need to access the eth_receive function in
> my standalone application. The U-boot version is 1.3.3 (I know it is
> old but it is a requirement).

eth_receive is (intentionally) not an exported interface for
standalone applications.

> Is this a dummy problem? Or something else?

It's policy.  Keep in mind that standalone applications allow youto
create proprietary code.  We accept that this is sometimes needed or
evenuseful, so we provide a mechanism for it, on the other hand we
strongly discourage closed source software, so we intentionally
provide not too much of the U-Boot features to such code.

If you write Free Software, then just link it with the U-Boot image
(and distribut eit under GPL).  If you write proprietary software, then
please implement your own, proprietary network drivers and network
stack as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_