[U-Boot] How to test a new u-boot image over network?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Dec 8 08:30:02 CET 2011

Hi Vikas,

On Wednesday 07 December 2011 23:13:18 vikas.sontakke at emc.com wrote:
> I do know that the board has NAND flash and it is seen by the u-boot.
>
> FLASH: 16 MB
> NAND:  1024 MiB
>
> The vendor has told us that the actual flash is lot bigger than reported by
> u-boot.

Then the vendor U-Boot port is broken.

> > (assuming your out-of-tree port supports NAND booting)
>
> How do I find this out?

NAND booting required that chip-select 0 is connected to the NAND chip. If
your board usually boots from NOR, then it is connected to the NOR FLASH chip.
The AMCC/APM evaluation boards have a jumper to toggle this chip-select
between NAND and NOR. If your custom board doesn't have such a means to toggle
the CS0 then you have no chance to boot from NAND.

Another idea would be to build a rambooting U-Boot target for your board. This
is supported for Sequoia. But not for Canyonlands. You might want to take a
look at that.

Otherwise you need to burn the U-Boot image into your NOR FLASH and just hope
that it works. A JTAG debugger would be handy if it doesn't work though.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de