[U-Boot] uImage:multi or single file?

Frank Lassowski flassowski at gmx.de
Thu Dec 8 10:22:58 CET 2011

Hi there,

short introduction of mine because I'm new here: mid 40, father and
husband, carpenter, using Linux since 15 years, weak skills on Uboot
because of two Marvell Sheevas running Debian.

I own an internet radio (running ucLinux, architecture blackfin) which is
not able to get the time from a NTP server, because it only uses one IP.
And this one does not respond on queries. I'm not amazed about that, the
server is in HongKong.
So I thought if it is possible to 'hack' the firmware of this device to
edit the ntp.conf
This firmware consist of 4 parts: header, 2 gzip archives and one uImage.

For this uImage 'mkimage -l' tells me the following:
Image Name: uClinux Kernel and ext2
Created: Thu Jun 18 04:42:13 2009
Image Type: Unknown Architecture Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 2230245 Bytes = 2177.97 kB = 2.13 MB
Load Address: 0x00001000
Entry Point: 0x00001000

I can extract it by using extract_uimage.sh from here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/How_to_Extract_an_uImage

Now it seems I have an gzip image. Ok gunzipping it shows me something
with clear text in it.

Is there any chance to see the ext2 in this image by using a special
sequence of bytes?

Hoping for help or hints

best regards
Frank