[U-Boot] Pull request: u-boot-tegra/master

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Fri Dec 9 18:37:21 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 10:22 AM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Le 09/12/2011 18:10, Stephen Warren a écrit :
>> Doesn't u-boot/master only move forward by merges, whereas
>> u-boot-arm/master move forward by rebases?
>
> Well, as per the wiki, u-boot/master should move by rebases, or more
> exactly, by fast-forwards, as pull requests to it should always be
> (re)based on it.

OK, then the process is just different from what I expected. In that
case, consider my comments irrelevant.

Although, I'm having a hard time reconciling that statement with
u-boot/master's history; there are a lot of non-fast-forward merges there.

(and fast-forward is a merge, just the simplest case)

> Er... Rebase *does* 3-way merges when necessary and possible. I just saw
> it done while pulling tegra, samsung and imx requests.

I don't think that's possible; with rebase, there is no common ancestor,
so you can't do a 3-way merge. The rebase conflicts end up being marked
up in the conflicting files in a similar fashion to a 3-way merge
though, but I think it's somewhat fake and just showing the differences
between the base that was in the patch being applied and current code,
which isn't quite the same thing.

--
nvpublic