[U-Boot] Where I'm going with x86 board.c

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Thu Dec 22 16:49:02 CET 2011

Hi Graeme,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 22/12/11 17:44, Simon Glass wrote:
>> Hi Graeme,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> With Simon's work on generic relocation support, I thought I would throw in
>>> what I am planning for arch/x86/lib/board.c
>>>
>>> Now this is not a patch, it is a work-in-progress complete version of the
>>> file (compiles, will test soon) - If feedback is positive, I'll add this to
>>> an upcoming patch set
>>
>> Looks good to me+++
>
> Thanks for having a look :)
>
>>> Notice the amount of wrapping around void functions - If all other arch's
>>> follow this lead, most of this wrapping can be removed by changing the
>>> function signatures.
>>>
>>> Lines 428 - 585 are effectively the generic init sequence - The rest is
>>> wrappers, init sequence arrays, or fluff that should be moved
>>>
>>> I noticed something along the way - gd is no longer special... let me
>>> explain...
>>>
>>> Some arch's use a dedicated register for the gd pointer - This allows the
>>> pointer to be written to prior to relocation. For x86, the gd pointer is
>>> simply passed around as a function parameter early - If the init_sequence_f
>>> functions accepted a gd pointer as a parameter, there would be no need for
>>> it to be global prior to relocation and therefore no need to allocate a
>>> permanent register for it - Of course do_init_loop() would no longer be
>>> generic for both pre and post relocation. This does mess with the
>>> stand-alone API, but as discussed before, stand alone applications should
>>> not be accessing gd anyway, so there should be no API to break ;)
>>
>> Actually as it happens I did a bit of an experiment with this some
>> weeks ago and my original board stuff had gd as a parameter for the
>> pre-reloc functions (some with stubs to other ones like
>> console_init_f()). On ARM it really doesn't make a lot of sense to use
>> a global variable instead of a parameter. I decided that it was a bit
>> much to bite off in one go :-) Partly that was because IMO gd really
>> only makes sense prior to relocation - for the post-relocation init
>> calls they don't have a lot of need for gd.
>
> I don't think this is 100% correct - I'm sure gd is used all over the place
> post init

Not enough that it needs to be in its own register. This compile-time
decision affects the whole of U-Boot post-relocation. In some routines
there is a small code size / performance advantage to having r8
available.

Also it is a bit of a misnomer when used after relocation. There is
lots of global data (the whole BSS) not just one structure. Arguably
some things like the network code would be smaller/faster using
global_data and without total reliance on global variables, but anyway
it seems to me that gd is mostly a convenience for pre-relocation
where memory may not be available.

>> So it has my vote. Once I get somewhere on the reboard series I will
>> post my common/board.c. As I may have mentioned I have elected so far
>> to leave the initcall list and local functions in
>> arch/xxx/lib/board.c.
>>
>> Would be good to get all this moving.
>
> Well, I have a more thorough patch in the making - I creates
> init_wrappers.c and init_helpers.c and board.c collapses very dramatically
> (see below) - with a lot of #ifdef hell...

I thing that all pre-reloc functions that are called should have the
same signature - i.e. return an int. if we (later) move to passing gd
around then they would change in that way also.

> Notice the new board_init_f_r() - This is where U-Boot is running from
> Flash, but SDRAM has been initialised and the stack is now in RAM - So this
> is where we move gd to RAM and perform relocation. As a bonus, relocation
> can be done with cache enabled :)

Yes I see. It is not so easy on ARM since we need the MMU also, but I
think it can be done. Once data is set up / copied in its new location
we can use it even prior to relocation. I also recently created a
patch to delay console init until after relocation (cue screams on the
list) which saves time.

Regards,
Simon