[U-Boot] kfreebsd build failure - fw_env.c:43:27: error: mtd/mtd-user.h: No such file or directory

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 7 23:06:05 CET 2011

Dear =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lo=EFc?= Minier,

In message <20110207210900.GA5848 at bee.dooz.org> you wrote:

>  "make tools-all" fails under Debian kfreebsd-amd64 and -i386 due to the
>  lack of MTD headers:
>  I didn't find any MTD header in the kfreebsd package.

Eventually FreeBSD uses a different mechanism to access flash devices.

>  Would someone know whether this is supposed to build under freebsd?

Probably not.  The whole design is Linux based - this also applies to
the "mtdparts" concept used to define and edit flash devices and
partitions in U-Boot, which then passes a suitable "mtdargs" boot
argument to the Linux kernel.  I doubt that FreeBSD uses a compatible
implementation.

>  If not, does it make sense to ifdef out the MTD uses in fw_env.c?  (I
>  think it's also possible to interact with real files containing the
>  environment.)
>
>  If not, I guess this should be removed from tools-all is mtd/mtd-user.h
>  isn't found; is there any recommendation in doing this?

Even if you are building in a *BSD environment, you could still be
building for a Linux target system. After all, the fw_env.* tools are
target tools, which should not depend on the host environment.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
1st Old Man:  Gee, its windy today.
2nd Old Man:  No it's not... it's Thursday.
3rd Old Man:  Yeh, me too.  Let's go for a beer.