[U-Boot] [STATUS: AT91/AVR32]

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Tue Feb 8 16:35:16 CET 2011

Hello AT91/AVR32 users and maintainers,

since relocation was introduced most ARM boards and therefore all AT91 based boards are
inherently broken.

We also used this "opportunity" to rework most of the AT91 include files mess.

You can find the current efforts at git.denx.de/u-boot-atmel.git, branch rework110202.

If you are going to fix a board, make sure you base on this branch and take the at91sam9260ek
port as an example how it can be done.

There is one important "catch" because of relocation relocates u-boot to top of available
RAM: U-boot should not be loaded near top of RAM by at91bootstrap anymore, otherwise there
is the risk that relocation will fail due to overlaps.
So you need to fix at91bootstrap to load u-boot to begin of RAM, or, at least,
not near the end of RAM. (It works fine to be loaded to begin of RAM.)

The at91sam9260ek port is proven to build and run.

Before submitting patches please check the following:

1. "#define XXXX 1" is depreciated if the "1"  is not of numeric significance, use "#define XXXX"
instead. Check your board config file for such occurrences.

2. SZ_ macros are depreciated, use (n << 10) for KiB, (n << 20) fir MiB, etc. Using
(n * 1024) or (n * 1024 * 1024) are also acceptable as well as other numeric values.
It is up to you what you prefer to be readable :)

3. Please run the patch through <linux>/scripts/checkpatch.pl; that will pinpoint coding style
errors. (I assume you do have a kernel tree somewhere.)

4. If you think you need to change generic AT91 files (header files other than for
9260/9261/9263 SoCs), please do so in the style of the 9260/9261/9263 header files,
but chancges to other AT91 files should not be necessary), please discuss this idea
in the list first.

5. *LEGACY defines should not be needed anymore.

6. reset_phy() seems to be an empty function for some boards. Please remove it and the
define that causes it to be called.

7. ...?

Unfortunately I am quite busy at work but I will try to comment and accept patches as
soon as time permits.

With Best Regards
Reinhard

PS: this list above might not be complete, clarifications and extensions are welcome :)