[U-Boot] SPI flash protection

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 15 09:42:10 CET 2011

On Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:00:48 Simon Guinot wrote:
> It is not clear for me how to proceed. Disable the write protection from
> the board setup code could be an idea but a problem is that the SPI flash
> API don't export any helpful method...
> Maybe I should add one ?
>
> An another idea is disabling the write protection anyway while
> initializing the flash (from the low level macronix driver). It is quite
> straightforward but I don't know if a flash driver is allowed to do
> that. After all, a flash could be protected for some good reasons.

current behavior is for SPI flash drivers to clear all protection bits during
init.  sst.c does exactly this.

if you wanted to extend the SPI flash API to include protect support as well
as add a "protect" subcommand to "sf" (all of this would be behind a define
like CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_PROTECTION), that'd be great.  otherwise, in the short
term, i'd suggest you implement something like sst_unlock in the macronix
driver.  i can take care of merging that.
-mike