[U-Boot] write to mcBsp address space

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Wed Feb 16 08:04:51 CET 2011

Hello Ran,

On Tuesday 15 February 2011 04:05 PM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Le 15/02/2011 09:21, Ran a écrit :
>> Albert ARIBAUD<albert.aribaud<at>   free.fr>   writes:
>>

>>> Hi Ran,

>>> Many SoCs have "base address registers" that allow remapping internal or
>>> peripheral registers anywhere in the address space, which means the
>>> actual address you're trying to get at might not be the right one. Did
>>> you check the BAR(s) and make sure the mcBsp address you're targetting
>>> is the right one for your board?

>>> Amicalement,
>>
>> Hello Albert,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your reply.
>> I've checked the datasheet but I see no reference to base address registers
>> for the mcBSP.
>>
>> mcBSP: http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/sprugj6c
>> OMAPL138: http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/omap-l138
>
> Evidently the mcBsp specs won't tell you how the device is mapped within
> a given SoC. As for the OMAPL138 SoC, it looks more like an overview.
> You would need to refer to a detailed spec, one with register level
> description of the module.

I have no idea about this particular OMAP SoC. But OMAPs in general do
not have the concept of base address register.

One typical issue is that the module in question may not be clocked. So
reads or writes to memory mapped IO locations in the module will fail.
However, if this is the case it would typically generate a data abort.

How about viewing this memory using a JTAG debugger?

br,
Aneesh