[U-Boot] [ARM]: File type for u-boot elf file

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Feb 24 11:57:32 CET 2011

Hi Sughosh,

Le 24/02/2011 11:01, sughosh ganu a écrit :
> hi Albert,
> I am facing an issue with generation of AIS signed binaries for
> hawkboard. The aisgen utility takes the u-boot elf file as input and
> generates a ais binary, which is the file format recognised by the
> hawkboard's RBL(rom bootloader). After the relocation support for ARM,
> the elf file generated has file type as 'DYN (shared object)'. With
> this, the aisgen tool rejects the file as not being an elf file.
>
> Can you please tell me what could have caused this change. I compiled
> u-boot for a powerpc board, and found that the file type in that case is
> 'ELF Executable'. Is there any specific reason why the file type has
> changed for ARM, as powerpc also supports relocation.

You have already answered your own question: the move to relocatable
executable caused the change you see.

I suspect the utility freaks out because it thinks the ELF cannot be
made into a binary like it would previously, but actually the binary
generation process did not change when we refactored the relocation --
maybe the utility would work on our relocatable ELFs with just the check
for ELF type bypassed.

In any case, you should see with the makers of the utility how it should
be updated to handle -pie generated elf files.

> -sughosh

Amicalement,
--
Albert.