[U-Boot] [ARM]: File type for u-boot elf file

sughosh ganu urwithsughosh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 12:08:34 CET 2011

hi Albert,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr>wrote:

> Hi Sughosh,
>
> Le 24/02/2011 11:01, sughosh ganu a écrit :
>
> Can you please tell me what could have caused this change. I compiled
>> u-boot for a powerpc board, and found that the file type in that case is
>> 'ELF Executable'. Is there any specific reason why the file type has
>> changed for ARM, as powerpc also supports relocation.
>>

> You have already answered your own question: the move to relocatable
> executable caused the change you see.

Yes, this is true, what i wanted to understand was the reason why the
'Type'  field is different for ARM now, compared to the u-boot elf image for
powerpc. Not sure if i am missing something, but powerpc also supports
relocation, so  what is the reason for the difference in the two image
types. Prior to relocation, we used to get the file type as 'Executable',
same as powerpc.

I suspect the utility freaks out because it thinks the ELF cannot be made
> into a binary like it would previously, but actually the binary generation
> process did not change when we refactored the relocation -- maybe the
> utility would work on our relocatable ELFs with just the check for ELF type
> bypassed.

Yes, even i think that would be the case, but i guess that would call for
changes in the utility. Perhaps someone from TI can look into this.

-sughosh