[U-Boot] Problem booting on custom board (85xx)

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:36:25 CET 2011

Dear Kevin:

There should be a config file that came with the CodeWarrior for the USB TAP
for the 85xx reference board from Freescale. Here are the steps to get the
RAM functional.

1. Study the config file for the reference board and the related schematic.
2. Study the reference manual for the chip with particular attention to DDR
register initialization and the reference board config file for the TAP.
3. Correlate differences between the 85xx reference board schematic and your
custom board schematic for DDR RAM and adjust the config file DDR register
settings.
4. Startup your board with the code tap. A connect should allow you to
read/write register on the 85xx chip.
5. Startup your board with the code tap but do not do a connect. Pull down
the drop down menu for RAM tests and run the simplest tests, that is
read/write one address or a small range of addresses.
6. Adjust your DDR RAM config file init parameters until the RAM passes the
CW TAP memories tests.

Until you have *some* semblance of RAM that can be read/written, you will
not be able to know the DDR RAM initialization settings that U-boot will
need in its startup file that does a similar thing that the JTAG does.

Charles

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Alden, Kevin <kalden at srcinc.com> wrote:

> I have a USB TAP.  I have had a lot of problems with the code warrior
> software so I sort of gave up on it and tried to use uboot.  I wish
> freescale support was better :)
>
> If no one has any suggestions for doing this in the uboot code I guess I
> will have to go back to fighting with codewarrior.

Charles Krinke