[U-Boot] skip relocation

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Sun Jan 2 21:54:36 CET 2011

Dear Reinhard,

> Dear Marcel,
>
> >> Is there any example that boots from NOR ?
>
> looking at the defines below, you are not really booting u-boot from NOR...
>
> > #define CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT
>
> If you do that, you must have an initial boot code before u-boot. See
> below...
>
> > #define CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT
>
> Not used anymore.
>
> > /* SDRAM */
> > #define CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS		1
> > #define PHYS_SDRAM			0x70000000
> > #define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE			0x08000000	/* 128 megs */
>
> Those defines have had their names changed.

These I have changed already. I think they are fine.

> > #define CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE	128
>
> This constant is wrong, use the auto-generated value.

OK

> > /*
> >
> >   * Size of malloc() pool
> >   */
> >
> > #define CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE	128 /* 128 bytes for initial data */
>
> This constant is wrong, use the auto-generated value.

OK

>  > Forgot to mention a few items :
>  >
>  > I flash the NOR at address 0x10020000
>  > TEXT_BASE is 0x10020000
>
> That really implies you have another boot program running before u-boot.
> Proably AT91 bootstrap? Is it configured to jumo to 0x1002000, or does it
> copy u-boot to some SDRAM address and jumps there?

Yes I run AT91 bootstrap. Is there a way to skip this ?

That's a good question if at91bootstrap jumps to the right address. How can I
tell ? (maybe I find out myself, at least your question got me thinking ! )
Let's say it does copy u-boot to SDRAM, do I need to set that address as
TEXT_BASE ?

I tried setting TEXT_BASE to 0x10020000 or 0x73f00000
If I use another address, AT91bootstrap doesn't do anything, but at both of
these addresses it behaves the same.

> Have a look at the current implementation for top9000 in u-boot-arm/master
> and compare your files to it. Any differences to your code that are not
> board and/or SoC specific probably have to be fixed in your board code or
> you should be able to reason why it must be different for your board.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have a few new things to try and read
(bootstrap)

,
Marcel