[U-Boot] U-boot Config Parameters on Compact Flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 20 14:35:50 CET 2011

Dear "Dach Miroslaw",

In message <1B4F8000449511488D1A640DD6DECA350392A609 at MAILBOX0A.psi.ch> you wrote:

> >What do you mean my "u-boot parameters"?
>
> To be clear I mean u-boot parameters the environment variables which are
> denied for example:
> CFG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH
> or
> CFG_ENV_IS_IN_EEPROM

CFG_* ? You code must be _extremely_ old.  Update!

> My new board does not have Flash nor EEPROM. It has only Compact Flash.

Then #define CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE

> What would be than your suggestion
> to access (read/write) u-boot (parameters) environ variables?

Reserve some space (like a tiny partition) somewhere on your CF card;
say 32 sectors for 16 kB environment data.
Use ide read combined with env import to load the envrionment from CF
card, and use env export combined with ide write to write it back if
needed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing,
after all, as "wanting."  It is not logical, but it is often true.
	-- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7