[U-Boot] U-boot Config Parameters on Compact Flash

Dach Miroslaw miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Thu Jan 20 14:05:05 CET 2011

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you for your quick answer.

>What do you mean my "u-boot parameters"?

To be clear I mean u-boot parameters the environment variables which are denied for example:
CFG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH
or
CFG_ENV_IS_IN_EEPROM

>Note however that the opposite direction is harder: there is no FAT
>write support.
>
>OK, you can read  and write raw sectors, but this is obviously less
>flexible (but has the charming benefit to work out of the box).

My new board does not have Flash nor EEPROM. It has only Compact Flash. What would be than your suggestion
to access (read/write) u-boot (parameters) environ variables?

When the board is booted than at first the simply boot loader which is in Xilinx internal BRAM can
place u-boot environ variables from file (on Compact Flash) to the RAM memory and next u-boot can be booted.
In such a scenario u-boot can access easily parameters from RAM. The problem remains valid how to write theses environ variables back to the file on Compact Flash.

Best Regards

Miroslaw Dach