[U-Boot] Cannot access memory at address 0xd8013fa8 when using gdb/BDI3000 to debug u-boot

davis mcpherson davis.mcpherson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:16:14 CET 2011

Ok, I'm updated my u-boot source code to the v2010.12 release and i'm
still seeing the same behaviour as with the earlier version...

in summary:

early in the boot process, in the start.S file, the L1 DCache is
configured for use as some initial RAM, the stack is located there, and
the global data structure, gd_t,  is located there... when I debug my
u-boot build i can set breakpoints, e.g. in cpu_init_f, and the
breakpoint is hit and I can single step thru the code, but when the
return from the function is executed i get the 'Cannot access memory at
address..." error,  but  apparently the call does return, because I can
single step on to the next function that is call, board_init_f...

Additionally, if I set a breakpoint in board_init_f, after the
statement  that initializes the gd_t pointer variable 'gd', and then try
to print the structure or just examine the memory locations i get the
same "Cannot access memory at address..." error...

so i'm assuming gdb working with a bdi3000 should be able to access this
L1Dcache when configured to be used as this initial RAM area for u-boot,
is this assumption correct?

the code in start.S is coded to be common for all mpc85xx boards (its in
the arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc85xx directory) with some config options from
the board specific <board>_config.h file.
My board is custom but modeled after the MPC8548CDS and at least at this
point of execution I think components common to any MPC8548 board are
being set up... I left the #define that specifies the address for this
initial RAM unchanged, 0xe4010000  ( i had changed it to 0xd8010000 when
i was using 1.3.4, but could see a reason that was required...)

could my bdi3000 config file affect this in any way?  i've attached it
for reference...

my thanks for your time and any ideas or suggestions are greatly
appreciated...

davis mcpherson