[U-Boot] Poor ext2 performance (was USB storage performance EHCI question)

Aaron Williams Aaron.Williams at caviumnetworks.com
Sun Jan 23 23:05:38 CET 2011

I traced down the poor performance I was seeing with USB to only the
ext2 filesystem.  With FAT32 I am getting 10MB/sec for file transfers,
but with ext2 I am only getting 100KB/sec.

I formatted the drive with:

mkfs.ext3 -j -L iomega -O dir_index,has_journal,large_file -t ext3 -v
/dev/sdc1

mke2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
fs_types for mke2fs.conf resolution: 'ext3', 'default'
Calling BLKDISCARD from 0 to 1014095872 failed.
Filesystem label=iomega
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
61952 inodes, 247582 blocks
12379 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=255852544
8 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
7744 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376

I have seen this behavior with several drives. I do not see this poor
performance with IDE.

I am using EHCI USB with all of the latest patches. I have made only
minimal changes. Our code base is based off of 2010.09 but I have
applied all of the GIT patches to USB and the filesystems with only a
couple exceptions in the USB code (which do not affect performance).

I don't have any other platforms to test the USB performance with.

-Aaron