[U-Boot] U-Boot v2010.12 released - Merge Window OPEN

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 26 08:38:01 CET 2011

Dear Alexander Holler,

In message <4D3F679F.6060406 at ahsoftware.de> you wrote:

> > Patches welcome...
>
> I don't have a script or similiar which tests which boards does compile,

Yes, you do. It's called MAKEALL and comes for free with the U-Boot
code.  Actually it is required to be run before submitting any patch.
Didn't you read the documentation? ;-)

> if fail then echo "#error $board doesn't compile since $(date)"
>  >>include/configs/board.h
>
> to such a script should do the trick.

There are many reasons why boards do not build, or cause warnings, so
you at least need to inspect and manually filter such a list.

> I think this will cost less time than removing these boards (with the
> next release) and will give people more time to implement the necessary
> changes. When those sources get removed, it will be more work to get
> them in back, therefore I would prefer to leave such boards in the repo
> for some more time.

Removing is simple, and the only proven way to clean up old mess.
I see no reason to keep dead, unmaintained code in U-Boot for too
long.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If I had to live my life again,  I'd  make  the  same  mistakes, only
sooner.                                          -- Tallulah Bankhead