[U-Boot] CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED problems

Michael Schwingen rincewind at discworld.dascon.de
Sat Jan 29 13:58:37 CET 2011

Hi,

I am wondering how CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is supposed to work.

As far as I understand the code, it is set automatically by
environment.h in case the environment is in a sector in NOR flash that
overlaps with the u-boot code.

However, I see two problems:
 - CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED does not end up in autoconf.mk - however, it
is used in common/Makefile. This does not cause problems as long as
CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH is also set, but the switch in the Makefile is
either useless or broken.

 - include/common.h also contains #ifdef CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED without
including environment.h, so that the definitions inside that block are
never reached.

Which of these is in error?

I think we could include environment.h from config.h - that would fix
all the problems, however that would mean environment.h ends up as a
dependency practically everywhere, which sounds bad.

cu
Michael