[U-Boot] SPI flash protection

Simon Guinot simon at sequanux.org
Sat Jan 29 18:00:48 CET 2011

Hi,

I am looking to add U-Boot support for the LaCie Network Space v2 board.

The SoC is a Kirkwood 88F6281_A0 and the boot device is a Macronix SPI
flash (MX25L4005A). My problem is that the embedded stock U-Boot (1.1.4
version patched by Marvell and LaCie) enable write protection for the
SPI flash. Then, after an U-Boot update, turn off this protection is
needed to allow saving U-Boot environment.

It is not clear for me how to proceed. Disable the write protection from
the board setup code could be an idea but a problem is that the SPI flash
API don't export any helpful method...
Maybe I should add one ?

An another idea is disabling the write protection anyway while
initializing the flash (from the low level macronix driver). It is quite
straightforward but I don't know if a flash driver is allowed to do
that. After all, a flash could be protected for some good reasons.

My last idea is doing nothing and let an another piece of software
handle the problem...

Thanks in advance for advices.

Simon

PS: some pointers about this project: