[U-Boot] Is there a working 2011 version of u-boot on i.MX31?

Helmut Raiger helmut.raiger at hale.at
Mon Jun 6 15:31:33 CEST 2011

On 06/01/2011 01:49 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> I have just built top-of-tree U-boot for MX31PDK and it booted fine here:
>
> U-Boot 2011.06-rc1-00002-g5d1ee00 (May 31 2011 - 20:43:07)
>
> CPU:   Freescale i.MX31 rev 2.0 at 531 MHz.Reset cause: POR
> Board: MX31PDK
> DRAM:  128 MiB
> NAND:  256 MiB
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> uboot>
>
> My toolchain is:
>
> $ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc --version
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202) 4.4.1
>
>> Could you send me an elf binary of an u-boot built for mx31pdk. I'm
>> pretty much into disassembling these days, so this could probably give
>> me a hint.
> Yes, will send you on a private email.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fabio Estevam
>
> --
> Scanned by MailScanner.

I've finally produced a working u-boot for our board. Thanx to Fabio I did:

- compare the elf files for the NAND build between toolchains, no change.
- flash his mx31pdk NAND flash version to our NAND and it started correctly
- compile mx31pdk_nand_config, flash to NAND, again everything fine.
- compile a NAND flash version for our board and it worked as-well
- test 3 different toolchains and all of them performed equally well.

While I now got a running NAND flash version, I'm still unable to get
the NOR flash version into gears. The NAND version is significantly
different, as the NAND-spl loads the u-boot directly to the location in
RAM that it was linked for.

I compiled 'mx31pdk_config' top-of-tree and it did not start up.

I'm still inclined to say that something is wrong with the NOR flash
version of the startup code, so I'd like to rephrase my original question:

Is there working version of a 2011 arm uboot (possibly for i.MX31) that
boots from NOR flash?

Helmut

--
Scanned by MailScanner.