[U-Boot] Nested Makefiles

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Fri Jun 17 01:03:21 CEST 2011

Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> writes:

> Dear Simon Glass,
>
> In message <BANLkTinE=tPVZfdBDJe5m79wedznFYv5FQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible for U-Boot to use a system similar to Linux from 2.6
>> where it prints out the full pathname of each file it is building, and
>> doesn't change in and out of directories as it builds. Perhaps
>> including the subdirectory Makefiles instead using make -C? I haven't
>> looked at how Linux does it. Is there some reason U-Boot cannot /
>> should not do the same?
>
> Of course we can have that - if somebody submits patches for it.
>
> But please note that I think that the Linux implementation sucks, and
> ditto for all other projects that copied this method.
>
> I think it is fundamentally wrong to implement such a feature (let's
> call it "terse make output") in the Makefiles of many projects, using
> a lot of trickery and magic.

Aside from the pros and cons of the terse output, getting rid of the
recursive makefiles should speed up the u-boot build dramatically.  In a
typical build, it spends a huge amount of time going in and out of
directories only to determine there was nothing to do.

No, I'm not volunteering to rewrite the makefiles.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com