[U-Boot] Nested Makefiles

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 17 00:03:07 CEST 2011

Dear Simon Glass,

In message <BANLkTinE=tPVZfdBDJe5m79wedznFYv5FQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Is it possible for U-Boot to use a system similar to Linux from 2.6
> where it prints out the full pathname of each file it is building, and
> doesn't change in and out of directories as it builds. Perhaps
> including the subdirectory Makefiles instead using make -C? I haven't
> looked at how Linux does it. Is there some reason U-Boot cannot /
> should not do the same?

Of course we can have that - if somebody submits patches for it.

But please note that I think that the Linux implementation sucks, and
ditto for all other projects that copied this method.

I think it is fundamentally wrong to implement such a feature (let's
call it "terse make output") in the Makefiles of many projects, using
a lot of trickery and magic.  If a specific verbosity of make output
is needed, this should most naturally be implemented as a feature in
make itself - we already have make options like "-d" (for very verbose
output) or "-s" (for silent mode), so why not add a new verbosity
level which produces exactly the short output format you want?

So yes, patches are welcome, but these should go directly to the make
mailing lists / patch system, see
http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=make

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Anything that is worth doing at all is worth doing well.
                                       -- Philip Earl of Chesterfield