[U-Boot] tftp "command" in default environments

Luca Ceresoli luca.ceresoli at comelit.it
Wed Jun 22 16:28:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

since 7a83af07aef3c (TFTP: add tftpsrv command) U-Boot has a new "tftpsrv"
command, which can be enabled by defining CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV.

Unfortunately, activating it causes some boards to stop working correctly.
This is because they use the tftp "command" in their environment, but tftp is
has never been a real command, just the prefix for tftpboot.
tftpboot used to be the sole completion for the tftp prefix, and this is still
true unless one activates tftpsrv.

A few numbers (consider a little percentage of false positives):
$ git grep -w tftp | wc
     788    4853   59575
$ git grep -w tftp include/configs/ board/ | wc
     658    4095   51357
$ git grep -w tftp doc/ README | wc
     119     685    7661

This is of course a bug in many boards (and the docs too).

It's obviously to be fixed for boards that define CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV:
currently none, but soon I'll update dig297 in this sense.

Fixing the docs would be wise, too. I'll try to find some time to do this job.

What I'm not sure about is if the default environment for all boards should be
fixed as well.
This would increase the binary size and the environment size. The increase
would be of a few bytes, is it correct to assume that it is negligible for all
boards?
OTOH it would give no visible advantage to those boards that will never want
tftpsrv at all, which are probably the vast majority.

I look forward to receive comments on this last question.

Luca

Luca Ceresoli

"Luca Ceresoli" <luca.ceresoli at comelit.it>
Comelit Group S.p.a.