[U-Boot] tftp "command" in default environments

Igor Grinberg grinberg at compulab.co.il
Wed Jun 22 17:07:03 CEST 2011

On 06/22/11 17:28, Luca Ceresoli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since 7a83af07aef3c (TFTP: add tftpsrv command) U-Boot has a new "tftpsrv"
> command, which can be enabled by defining CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV.
>
> Unfortunately, activating it causes some boards to stop working correctly.
> This is because they use the tftp "command" in their environment, but tftp is
> has never been a real command, just the prefix for tftpboot.
> tftpboot used to be the sole completion for the tftp prefix, and this is still
> true unless one activates tftpsrv.

Don't enable the CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV by default.
Only boards that want to use the tftpsrv command,
should define the above config.
This makes it like this: if you define the CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV,
then you need to make sure your default environment is still good,
if you don't define it then you should not have a problem.
Right?

> A few numbers (consider a little percentage of false positives):
> $ git grep -w tftp | wc
>      788    4853   59575
> $ git grep -w tftp include/configs/ board/ | wc
>      658    4095   51357
> $ git grep -w tftp doc/ README | wc
>      119     685    7661
>
> This is of course a bug in many boards (and the docs too).
>
> It's obviously to be fixed for boards that define CONFIG_CMD_TFTPSRV:
> currently none, but soon I'll update dig297 in this sense.
>
> Fixing the docs would be wise, too. I'll try to find some time to do this job.
>
> What I'm not sure about is if the default environment for all boards should be
> fixed as well.

See above

> This would increase the binary size and the environment size. The increase
> would be of a few bytes, is it correct to assume that it is negligible for all
> boards?

looks like a non issue

> OTOH it would give no visible advantage to those boards that will never want
> tftpsrv at all, which are probably the vast majority.

yep.

--
Regards,
Igor.