[U-Boot] Run U-boot from Flash!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 24 16:20:42 CEST 2011

Dear manojatl,

In message <31920053.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> We are in the process of porting linux to our custom board. We are using
> u-boot-1.1.6 as bootloader. We are able to successfully port u-boot in RAM

First, U-Boot 1.1.6 is more than 5 years old and only of interest to
paleontologists - like a dinosaur.  I tmakes absolutely no sense
putting any efforts n such old code.  Please do yourself (and us) a
favour and use current code (i. e. v2011-06-rc3 or later).

> to our custom board. But we want to run the u-boot from flash. We understand
> that u-boot is capable of relocating the code from flash to ram. But we
> didn't find any idea for changing the address of '_start', which is always
> loaded with TEXT_BASE address.

Then just change the setting of TEXT_BASE as needed.

Note that it would have been helpful if you had mentioned which
architecture / CPU / board you are talking about.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you're out of tree, you don't exist.
     - David Woodhouse in <1304620350.2398.29.camel at i7.infradead.org>