[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Mon Jun 27 06:29:39 CEST 2011

Hi Ilya,

On Monday 27 June 2011 04:47 AM, Ilya Yanok wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've read the whole thread and I really like what Daniel suggests but I just
> want to speak it in a little bit different words.
>
> I wonder why do we need this whole spl thing in the first place (well,
> surely I know what they are used for but why do we need a separate entity
> for this)? Isn't it just the same U-Boot in, well, very special configuration
> (minimal set of drivers, no shell, etc)? Why do we need a whole shadow tree
> at spl/ instead of just providing the _configuration_?
>
> Am I missing something?

The reason is that the regular U-Boot is not configurable enough to
build the extremely small images that should fit in internal RAM. The
last time I attempted, I ended up getting an ~60KB image for
OMAP4(that too without any of the hardware initialization I am adding
in my SPL work).

> Aneesh, what's the state of your patches? I'm especially interrested in
> OMAP3 (AM3517) support. Maybe I will be able to help you.

I should be able to send out an updated revision of my series once we
finalize on the new framework for SPL.

BTW, John Rigby had sent out a series sometime back for OMAP3 NAND SPL.
That can be integrated with my work and we will get an SPL that
supports both MMC and NAND. I guess Simon Schwarz is also doing some
work lately on OMAP3.

best regards,
Aneesh