[U-Boot] request for some debugging hints

Christopher Harvey charvey at matrox.com
Wed Jun 29 14:55:44 CEST 2011

kernel version: 2.6.38
u-boot version: 2011.06

I've got an ARM (armv7) kernel that I can boot under QEMU without
problems, but refuses to boot with a bootm command under u-boot.

All I see is "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.", then
nothing else.

I'm also hitting a bug very similar to the following with gdb, so I'm
having a hard time figuring out exactly which lines are blocking the
kernel.
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2011-02/msg00048.html
but that patch doesn't fix it in my case.

Basically I was hoping for some hints in case somebody here has already
dealt with a similar problem and could provide some tips to help me
figure out how to spend my debugging time.

I was under the impression that the second a working kernel got passed
the "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." point there was
very little that could go wrong since it means the kernel was completely
loaded into memory and the entry point was picked properly.

The kernel is a very standard kernel, and uboot is a very minimal uboot
build with no extra soc or board initializations besides memory size.
eg:
lowlevel_init is blank
reset_cpu is an infinite loop
timers aren't used