[U-Boot] request for some debugging hints

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 29 15:42:44 CEST 2011

Dear Christopher Harvey,

In message <4E0B20D0.4070000 at matrox.com> you wrote:

> I was under the impression that the second a working kernel got passed
> the "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." point there was
> very little that could go wrong since it means the kernel was completely
> loaded into memory and the entry point was picked properly.

You are perfectly right and totally wrong.

Yes, you are right: when reaching this point there is not much left
that can go wrong - in U-Boot, that is.

But of course there is a million things that can go wrong in Linux,
and it appears you are running onto one of these.

> The kernel is a very standard kernel, and uboot is a very minimal uboot
> build with no extra soc or board initializations besides memory size.
> eg:
> lowlevel_init is blank
> reset_cpu is an infinite loop
> timers aren't used

May I suggest to run a standard U-Boot version instead, which includes
all the necessary initialization?

You don't mention a board name, so I guess all your code is not
available in mainline?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to  do  a  thing
and to watch someone else doing it wrong, without commenting.
                                                        -- T.H. White