[U-Boot] cfi: Problem with Intel Strata 28F320 flash

Philippe De Muyter phdm at macqel.be
Tue Mar 8 15:26:51 CET 2011

Hello Heiko,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 02:08:26PM +0100, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I am actual trying to get the keymile boards in sync with actual
> mainline u-boot, I faced the following Problem with an Intel Strata
> Flash on the mgcoge (mpc8247 based board):
>
> I couldn;t unprotect/erase/write/protect some (not all!) Flash sectors.
>
> For Example, I could do this without errors on the sectors where
> u-boot sits (First three sectors), but not with the environment (next
> two sectors)!

That's exactly the problem I had, but triggered by another valid command
sequence.

So it is also a flash bug.

Have you searched with google for your chip plus "errata" or "specification
update" as they call that ?

> After some debugging, I found out, that, if I revert commit
>
> commit 54652991caedc39b2ec2e5b49e750669bfcd1e2e
> Author: Philippe De Muyter <phdm at macqel.be>
> Date:   Tue Aug 17 18:40:25 2010 +0200
>
>     Work around bug in Numonyx P33/P30 256-Mbit 65nm flash chips.
>
>     I have "ported" U-boot to a in house made board with Numonyx Axcell P33/P30
>     256-Mbit 65nm flash chips.
>
>     After some time :( searching for bugs in our board or soft, we have
>     discovered that those chips have a small but annoying bug, documented in
>     "Numonyx Axcell P33/P30 256-Mbit Specification Update"
> [...]
>
> It works again fine, and without problems ... did somebody faced
> similiar issues with the cfi driver? Some Ideas?

It seems like we'll need to check the flash chip type before issuing one command
sequence or another.

Philippe

--
Philippe De Muyter +32 2 6101532 Macq SA rue de l'Aeronef 2 B-1140 Bruxelles