[U-Boot] Trying again: DNS323

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Thu Mar 17 13:28:47 CET 2011

Hi folks,

After a bit of a hiatus, I am trying again to get my DNS323 config
working properly. This is a Marvell Orion5x based device, very similar
to the EDMiniv2.

Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty in forward porting it to the
new relocation scheme. I have it working based on a point after 2010.06,
prior to the introduction of all the relocation rework. My configuration
was based on that of the edminiv2, and I basically reapplied my changes
to current mainline, comparing them to the current edminiv2 configuration.

Unfortunately, it simply doesn't boot.

Note that I have not yet tried to flash the image to the device, it is
configured for chain loading from the current vendor U-Boot, using the
CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT option.

I would have thought that this would have eliminated the relocation code
completely, since relocation should only happen when booting directly
from flash, I would think?

Has anyone tested to verify whether CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT still works?

As an aside, it seems that there are differences in gcc 4.3 and gcc 4.5
that prevent images compiled with 4.5 from working. Compiling my working
config with 4.3 results in a working image, compiling with 4.5 results
in a non-working image. If anyone wants to work out what the differences
are, and how to get 4.5 to build successfully, please let me know.

Regards,

Rogan