[U-Boot] NAND Bad Blocks and OOB

VirtualFight at web.de VirtualFight at web.de
Fri Mar 18 12:43:06 CET 2011

Hi all,
I have some questions about the bad block management in the NAND-driver, I hope this is the right place to ask this:

The things I believe to know, please correct me, if its wrong:
If
 I have a new NAND-Flash, the manufacturer marked the bad block in the
spare area/OOB  (normaly good blocks are marked as 0xFF in the first 2
bytes?).
The u-boot scans for these bad blocks and saves the information in the bbt.

What
 happens, if a block gets worn out? Would this block only be markes as
bad in the bbt, or would this information would be also stored in the
spare area (the driver write another value, not  0xFF in the firts 2
bytes?).
Is it possible to restore the bad block informations, if the
 whole nand-flash would be erased (for example by writing 0 in all block
 and after this by erasing the blocks and check the error status bit of
the NAND-flash device)?
If yes, is such a function implemented in u-boot?

thanks in advance,
marc