[U-Boot] [non-working configuraton, post relocation 7/7] DNS323 configuration

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Sun Mar 27 22:54:06 CEST 2011

On 2011/03/19 1:51 PM, Rogan Dawes wrote:
> On 2011/03/19 9:19 AM, Heiko Schocher wrote:
>
>>> Marvell>> bootm
>>> ## Booting image at 00100000 ...
>>>    Image Name:   UBoot dns323
>>>    Image Type:   ARM U-Boot Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>>>    Data Size:    170100 Bytes = 166.1 kB
>>>    Load Address: 03000000
>>>    Entry Point:  03000000
>>>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>>> OK
>>>
>>> Starting kernel ...
>>
>> With relocation, you must set TEXT_BASE to the value you start
>> the image, so please try to set TEXT_BASE = load_addr.
>>
>> Also, if you do a ram image, don;t forget that with relocation
>> the u-boot image gets relocated to the end of ram, so don;t choose
>> a TEXT_BASE near the end of ram.
>>
>> If that not helps, you maybe need a debugger ...
>>
>> bye,
>> Heiko
>
> Hi Heiko,
>
> I did see that, and thought it might have something to do with it. I
> also tried building a version with the TEXT_BASE at 0x100000, but had
> exactly the same result.
>
> It sounds like a debugger will be my only option. Fortunately, I should
> be getting a Segger J-Link JTAG adapter on Tuesday, and then maybe I can
> figure out what is going on.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rogan

Hi Heiko,

It is clear now that I *am* an idiot.

I was loading the uImage to 0x100000, but the uImage was configured to
be copied to 0x3000000 before being started by the vendor u-boot.

Setting TEXT_BASE to 0x3000000 allowed me to start my chainloaded "on
top of master" u-boot.

Now all I need is to figure out the right way to patch the CFI code to
handle my 8-bit/16-bit configuration, and I should be ready to submit a
working configuration.

Thanks for your help.

Rogan